Way back in the beginning of my journey, biblical journey that is, one of my first insights to understanding the storyline of the bible was a book called “From Eternity to Here” by Frank Viola, I have decided to revisit it for this blog.
Chapter five talks about the “Second Eve”. First off we need to ‘see’ where this is coming from scripturally. It should be obvious that we are using the existence of the first and second human beings that God created. But with clarification, and this is important to understand is that God created only one, with one inside of each other. They were actually halves of each other.
Where we go from here is cool and exciting, so hang on for something special.
The creation of Adam and Eve can be looked at as a ‘shadow’ of the real thing to come.
I will concentrate on the ‘Eve’ part of this blog, but we also need to remember the first part of the picture and that Christ is the ‘Second Adam’ to fully understand it all. With Christ’s resurrection defeating the ‘old adam’ in his tainted being, we have the ‘new resurrected being of Christ, who will now be completed with his new ‘half’ of himself, his bride, the body.
I will use some excerpts from this book by Frank Viola, which will define who and what ‘she’ is.
- She is Christ in another form, for she was taken out of Him.
- She takes the name of her Bridegrom. Just as Eve had Adam’s name before the fall, so the bride of Christ takes the name of Christ.
- She is a new creation. In Ephesians 2.15, she is called “one new man,” or more literally,” one new human”.
- She is the masterpiece of God. In Ephesians 2.10, Paul says she is God’s workmanship.
- She is utterly devoted to her Lord, and her Lord is utterly devoted to her.
- She is uncreated. She was built -fashioned- out of Jesus Christ Himself. She is spirit of His spirit just as Eve was flesh of Adam’s flesh (1 Cor. 6.16-17).
- She is flawless. In the eyes of God,she is every bit as holy and as pure as Christ.Recall that when Eve made her appearance of earth, she was perfect,spotless, and without blame.(She made her appearance before the fall.)
- She is Christ’s body. Eve was taken out of Adam’s physical body. In the same way, the New Eve, the bride of Jesus was taken out of Christ’s body.
- Christ is the source of her life. He was the basis for her existence.
- She was made wholly for Christ. The Lord Jesus desired a counterpart to match Him.
- She was hid in the Son of God before creation. Her origins are not of this earth. They are in the unseen realm- in heavenly places in Christ before time began (Eph 1.3-4;2.6)
- She is the increase of Christ. When the bride came out of His side, Jesus Christ was increased. When she was formed,Christ was enlarged.
- She in interdependent upon Christ. God pulled her out of Last Adam’s Pleura, His side(John 19.34)
- She is the glory of Christ. In the greak, the word traslated “glory” is doxa. The word doxology is derived from it. A doxology is the closing piece of a musical presentation. It’s the grand finale.
- She is the Second Eve , the mother of all who are alive in Christ. In Galations 4.26(NKJV), Paul says that “the Jerusalem above… Is the mother of us all” In Revelation 21.27, those whose names are written in the Book of Life live in the city of the New Jerusalem, the bride of Christ.
These are the who and what’s of the second eve, or as we commonly call her…. ‘the body of Christ’.
Can you see it!!
These bullet points were from Frank Viola’s book “From Eternity to Here”, pages 47-52. I highly recommend this book to ‘see’ the the shadow’s and ‘the real thing’ in the storyline of the scriptures of God’s Kingdom and the Bride and Groom!!